We are currently developing a very low cost PIC microcontroller based Butterfly board. We decided to open up development and proceed in a public forum. This “Open Development” approach worked very well with the OpenBench Logic Sniffer and we want to make this the norm going forward. So please come join us in the forum and help us shape this new design.
Our goals for the PIC Cocoon are:
- A very low cost Butterfly Board with USB. ($15-20)
- We are using a low cost PIC chip with built in USB.
- A 16 bit Wing slot.
- Partial REDe compatibility.
- The selected PIC chip has the ability to move peripherals between pins. This is a critical feature that allows partial REDe compatibility with our Wings.
- Wiring/Arduino IDE compatibility.
- We intend to create the libraries needed, using sdcc, to add Wiring/Arduino IDE support for this board.
- This board will fill the low end of the Butterfly Continuum. The goal is to allow an application to be written in the Wiring/Arduino IDE that is portable between this low cost PIC based microcontroller board and the mid level FPGA Butterfly boards.