There is a new FPGA Dev board in the works at Gadget Factory. The new board, codenamed Papilio RAM, brings some exciting new features to the Papilio Platform:
- 2-16 Mb of 16bit SRAM.
- Spartan 3A FPGA in a BGA package means that gate densities from 50K-1400K can be populated.
- Spartan 3A allows multi-booting multiple bitstreams from a single SPI Flash chip.
- Spartan 3A supports Secure DNA for secure deployment of applications.
- Multi-Layer design means the board is just 2×2 inches, much smaller than the Papilio One.
- Four 16-bit Wing slots for a total of 64 I/O pins.
With this new board the sky is the limit and the following types of projects can be implemented:
- ucLinux running on the Microblaze 32 bit processor
- JOP – Java Virtual Machine
- x86 processor which allows DOS to run.
- Arcade Games that require more than 45K of RAM.
- Amiga 500 on an FPGA projects
Prototypes have been built and we are in the process of testing the design and building more prototypes for sale.
- Currently the AVR8 processor has been ported and the ASCIITest sketch which tests UART communications works correctly.
- All I/O ports have not been verified yet. A full ucf file needs to be generated.
- Memory has not been verified, a test application needs to be created.