This month we’ve seen many Papilio users sharing with us some pretty good projects on our forum and this is one of these exciting works, the idea was to make an SPI VGA Controller that works in the Papilio One..
Vhdlnerd has designed a VGA controller that primarily Targets the Papilio One 250k board but it should works with the Papilio One 500k and it Uses the VGA Wing.
The basic features of this controller that Vhdlnerd actually calls it VN VGA Controller are:[checklist]
- Generates a text display
- Glorious 3-bit Color Output
- Hardware Cursor (with selectable style)
- Completely Scalable Design
- The controller can be reconfigured via a few constants
- Many different VGA resolution standards may be selected
- Different fonts can be selected
- All logic and RAMs are inferred
“Right now I have the core VGA stuff working: VGA signal timing generation and outputting a display of all the font characters repeatedly. This was enough to test how well the core scales to handle a 1600×1200 VGA resolution.”
He had a first cut at the VN VGA controller done and he also uploaded the source code to Github you can check all that and more by joining the discussion here.
Feel free to discuss in our forum, any feedback is appreciated to help us improve this project.
Thanks for sharing your work with us, Vhdlnerd.